Encouraging news over Brexit.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Encouraging news over Brexit.

Post by Dominic »

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1WP0OO

THORNTON MANOR, England (Reuters) - A Brexit deal could be clinched by the end of October to allow the United Kingdom to leave the European Union in an orderly fashion, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said after what he called a very positive meeting with Boris Johnson.

With just three weeks to go before the United Kingdom is due to leave the world’s biggest trading bloc, it remains unclear on what terms it will leave or indeed whether it will leave at all.

After Brexit descended into a public row between London and Brussels earlier this week, Johnson, the British prime minister, met Varadkar at Thornton Manor in Cheshire on Thursday in a last ditch bid to avert an acrimonious divorce or another delay.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Re: Encouraging news over Brexit.

Post by Jimgward »

To be honest, I’m confused as to what “the deal” might be.... it appears to be May’s deal, with an amended backstop - which makes me wonder why the UK government hadn’t gotten together with the Irish government, 3 years ago! Is it arrogance? Or a dismissal of Ireland as an inferior nation? It was blatantly obvious to us all that talks with other parties and Ireland should have started earlier.
wilky

Post by wilky »

The trouble was the DUP would not allow the backstop under any circumstances now they have allowed checks between the UK and NI in effect a border in the Irish sea.This may not get through parliament which still leaves no deal or remain.
boycott

Post by boycott »

I wonder if Boris offered to give NI to Ireland to resolve the border issues, bearing in mind NI voted to remain in the EU.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It shows that the DUP represent the DUP, and not the electorate of NI, But not a chance could Boris do that, not would the RoI want it
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is an interesting article about Brexit support media collusion with No 10 pedalling lies to defame Remain politicians.
Every day outrageous statements are made and no one is taken to task over them.

Jim

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... s-machine/
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

F8BA0554-B685-4C3C-A890-75FB18CE0FCA.jpeg
F8BA0554-B685-4C3C-A890-75FB18CE0FCA.jpeg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

OMG quick cancel the referendum result because someone on Twitter doesn't like it. Phew! That was close!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I hope we have a "People's Vote", let's give it a new name though, say hmmmm a general election! Oh but hang on the opposition who have been repeatedly calling for a new vote don't actually want one, now they do, now the don't. You really couldn't make it up.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

A general election would be even better, see my previous post. Ah the well worn argument about the British economy going into recession etc. It didn't work for Project Fear, and I can't see it working now either! Still, George Osborne would be extremely proud of it I am sure, and we all know how well he was at predictions don't we ;-)
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Wow Lloyd you really do have trouble reading and comprehending what people wrote don't you?! Can you, for my benefit and that of others reading your posts please point out where I said, suggested, or even remotely hinted "So your view is that the UK economy is doing well...and unaffected by Brexit? Dream on."

How are Europe's economies doing Lloyd? Germany doing ok is it?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:23 pm So your view is that the UK economy is doing well...and unaffected by Brexit? Dream on. The reality:
So what? Not enough to warrant your diatribe.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

https://www.pwc.co.uk/services/economic ... tlook.html

We project UK economic growth to remain modest at 1.4% in 2019 and 1.3% in 2020, compared with its long-term trend rate of around 2%

For each and every negative report there is a positive one. All depends on your Brexit stance I guess ;-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I read earlier that the advertising campaign for leaving the EU was quietly dropped today by Blojo at the cost of 100 million pounds plus all the millions of fifty pence coins specially minted to celebrate leaving the EU have been scrapped costing millions; it's a good job the economy is doing so well that so much money can just be written off.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
Outside of the EU workers rights can be given or removed on a whim by any party who happens to be in power. I didn't expect anything less from Blojo.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

There’s a surprise, Boris lying about his real intentions. When you ave the leader of the house, a Dickensian upper-class twit who will want restoration of values of the estate landlord, with workers doffing their caps, its no surprise. Also, when emulation of the USA under Trump means 2 weeks holiday a year....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The EU has agreed to extend Brexit until 31 January 2020, according to a tweet from the European Council president.
Donald Tusk said the bloc would allow for a so-called "flextension" - meaning the UK could leave before the deadline if a deal was approved by Parliament.
It comes as MPs prepare to vote on proposals by Boris Johnson for an early general election on 12 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50205603
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

So bring on the General Election, then we can vote the Brexit Party in. This fiasco has gone on too long now.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:48 pm So bring on the General Election, then we can vote the Brexit Party in. This fiasco has gone on too long now.
Why do you need a general election?

All BJ has to do is spend a couple of weeks debating the agreement properly then it will get passed in Parliament. That he doesn't appear to want to do this indicates that he is less interested in an orderly exit and more interest in establishing power for himself.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.