Encouraging news over Brexit.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Encouraging news over Brexit.

Post by Jim B »

K-Noble wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:10 pm For a majority of people living in the UK Brexit is the last of our worries.

Heading towards over 4 million unemployed and employers making people redundant once it becomes their responsibility to contribute to furlough.

The bottom line is full impact of Covid is not know and it will probably be another 12 months before it is. I have neighbours who are already saying there is a good possibility of them selling there house as they will not be able to pay their mortgage should they loose there job. The banks are saying and doing all the right things at the moment but eventually they will need to get their money back.

Same with the Government - 100 billion in debt and rising and no matter who was in power borrowing money and supporting the population was the only option. However like the banks at some point the government will need to recoup money to pay off the debt and support the growing unemployment.

I do not intend my next statement to be offensive, however reading through various subjects it would seem many on this forum are retired and living in Cyprus on your state or private pensions. Personally i would say you are in the best position of all.
K-Noble

I think Brexit is going to be the icing on the cake after the events of this year.

Unfortunately there are very few jobs for life these days and unlike quite a few on here I have a lot of experience of being laid off over the years, especially working in Oil and Gas.
My last job I was laid off by BP because of the fall in oil prices and some of my colleagues have not worked since the autumn of 2017.
It is going to be terribly hard for many, I can really empathise with people losing nearly everything, I've been very close myself several times and managed to scrape through with luck and sacrifice by wife and kids with me being away for four months at a time and a couple of weeks home.
Whether the banks are doing the right thing out of the goodness of their hearts or under sufferage we shall have to wait and see but on past experience I think we know the answer.
I sincerely wish you well and things work out for you and your family.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm My name in response to this amusing thread is, Nicholas Dykes. I choose Diocletian because he was an interesting character who rose from being a working class chap to becoming an Augustus and ruling the Roman Empire before retiring.
Hello Nicholas, at last I can now put a name to a pen name.
Yes I've read about Diocletian and have a book at home about him. A Roman Cavalry Commander from Dalmatia (I think) who became Ceasar of Rome.
It's amazing what one reads when they're stuck in a Portacabin in some God forsaken place in the middle of nowhere for months at a time.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Ok, in the spirit of sharing I shall post my name, but you will of course then understand why I had to be incognito. It's Elizabeth Windsor. Please don't make a fuss etc, it does become tiresome.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm Ok, in the spirit of sharing I shall post my name, but you will of course then understand why I had to be incognito. It's Elizabeth Windsor. Please don't make a fuss etc, it does become tiresome.
Elizabeth
You should really address your post to Firefly

PHILIP
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

At last, a little humour to lighten the thread :lol: :lol:

Jackie O
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm Ok, in the spirit of sharing I shall post my name, but you will of course then understand why I had to be incognito. It's Elizabeth Windsor. Please don't make a fuss etc, it does become tiresome.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

WHL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Whats for Tea Liz, love Phil :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

WHL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Whats for Tea Liz, love Phil :lol:
:lol: One shall ask the footman dear. :mrgreen:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Firefly wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:02 pm At last, a little humour to lighten the thread :lol: :lol:

Jackie O
:lol: *curtsies* :lol: