Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:16 am Jimgym, you take the biscuit in having a go at people for not accepting your ONE example of voters being told about leaving by ~Cameron ~V Hundreds of examples where everyone said about no-deal being off the agenda and having trade deals with the EU being certain. But you’ve refused to even read. Yet you castigate others for not accepting your ONE example. An example that doesn’t stand Up to the argument of briefing 10’s of millions....
I posted evidence that voters had been informed on the single market, where is that untrue, despite the poster saying otherwise. Can you tell me where I am incorrect?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm Nope, yet again you are wrong, so much so it's becoming slightly embarrassing. I said, many posts ago, and in response to your constant lie, that British voters were actually told that a vote to leave was also a vote to leave the single market. I'm sorry you fail, repeatedly to grasp that very, very simple point. Each point I have made, and each response I have given you is there for all to see.
What do you mean when you say "nope"? I quoted you and you´re still saying you didn´t say it?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 pmHowever do please back up your assertion that I said each and every voter knew about it already. Please, post where I said that.
As per your wish:
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm. The British people voted, they weighed up the pros and cons I am sure, and satisfied themselves, that is, each and every person who voted. Oh dear, the usual "poorly informed" insult to millions of voters, how desperate.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 pmHowever do please back up your assertion that I said each and every voter knew about it already. Please, post where I said that.
As per your wish:
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm. The British people voted, they weighed up the pros and cons I am sure, and satisfied themselves, that is, each and every person who voted. Oh dear, the usual "poorly informed" insult to millions of voters, how desperate.
Where did I say "each and every voter" knew about the single market? I didn't. No if's, no but's, I offered you proof that the British people had been informed by the Prime Minister that a vote to leave was also a vote to leave the single market, something you have constantly denied. I at no time said "each and every voter" knew this as obviously there is no way I could possibly know that. I've said it so many times now that I hope you can finally grasp it, but I do have my doubts. Now, if you are going to attribute things to me, please get them right.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm Nope, yet again you are wrong, so much so it's becoming slightly embarrassing. I said, many posts ago, and in response to your constant lie, that British voters were actually told that a vote to leave was also a vote to leave the single market. I'm sorry you fail, repeatedly to grasp that very, very simple point. Each point I have made, and each response I have given you is there for all to see.
What do you mean when you say "nope"? I quoted you and you´re still saying you didn´t say it?
No Jeba, thats the problem when you selectively quote, as you have done. I was responding to your comment "Are you saying that there was a mention of customs union or common market on the ballot paper? If it wasn´t it wasn´t me who repeated a lie." And here was my response to that question "No, I'm not saying it now, I didn't say it yesterday, and I have never said, or even hinted at it before. I do hope that clarifies it for you."
That is why i also said to you, and again I shall quote "Really not Jeba, and as you obviously have time on your hands, for clarification I suggest you re-read what I have written on this thread. It's all been kept very simple by me, and it is all completely unambiguous in what it says. Should you wish to twist this to suit your argument then that is your choice. I however prefer to stick to the facts, and they do speak for themselves."
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm Where did I say "each and every voter" knew about the single market? I didn't.
Well, my point was that the referendum was only about leaving the EU (not the single market nor the custums union) and therefore, there is no justification for claiming that the referendum should be regarded a vote to leave the single market and the custums union. In this context you said what I quoted above - including that "each and every person who voted" had satisfied themselves. Should that not be understood to say that they knew what they were voting about? And didn´t you say that assuming they didn´t was an insult to British voters?

Jimgym wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm I offered you proof that the British people had been informed by the Prime Minister that a vote to leave was also a vote to leave the single market, something you have constantly denied.
No, you haven´t offered proof. While I do believe you that Cameron had said on TV that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market as well I don´t regard that proof that the electorate had been informed properly. For one - as you admit yourself - because you can´t assume every voter heard this and secondly, because making a remark on TV isn´t the same as educating the electorate properly. Plus, even you haven´t claimed that the electorate was educated about the customs union - let alone leaving them.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Jimgym wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm Where did I say "each and every voter" knew about the single market? I didn't.
Well, my point was that the referendum was only about leaving the EU (not the single market nor the custums union) and therefore, there is no justification for claiming that the referendum should be regarded a vote to leave the single market and the custums union. In this context you said what I quoted above - including that "each and every person who voted" had satisfied themselves. Should that not be understood to say that they knew what they were voting about? And didn´t you say that assuming they didn´t was an insult to British voters?

It should be taken that each person satisfied themselves, not anyone else, and made their decision.
Jimgym wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm I offered you proof that the British people had been informed by the Prime Minister that a vote to leave was also a vote to leave the single market, something you have constantly denied.
No, you haven´t offered proof. While I do believe you that Cameron had said on TV that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market as well I don´t regard that proof that the electorate had been informed properly. For one - as you admit yourself - because you can´t assume every voter heard this and secondly, because making a remark on TV isn´t the same as educating the electorate properly. Plus, even you haven´t claimed that the electorate was educated about the customs union - let alone leaving them.
Irrespective of whether you regard it as proof, it happened, he told the voting public, which was exactly my point in response to your question that people didn't know.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I'm locking this thread now as it is just too daft for words.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.