Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am The most abusive of those leavers no longer post here. They had privileges curtailed.
I agree Dominic but it wasn't due to complaints from Remainers, it was down to them using the same vitriol against Admin.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are wrong. Not everybody complains on the open board. Some people do so via PM.

Believe you me, if I banned people who used vitriol against me the politics section would be very quiet indeed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

The reason people don’t respond to you has been clearly spelt out but for some reason you are failing to grasp it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I did mean on the open board, I can't recall any as far as I'm aware.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Desperation reporting that isn’t even true!

Pound rallies after reports of 'major concessions' on Brexit
The pound jumped against the euro and the dollar on Wednesday morning amid hopes that a Brexit deal could yet be reached before October 31.

Sterling had been under pressure in early trade but jumped higher at about 9.30am. The pound was 0.1% against the euro to €1.1163 (GBPEUR=X) and up 0.3% against the dollar to $1.226 (GBPUSD=X).
The reversal in fortune came after the Times reported that “a major concession” by allowing Northern Ireland to leave the so-called Irish backstop after a number of years.
“Quoting diplomatic sources close to the talks the Times reported that European governments are prepared to concede a unilateral withdrawal from an interim after a set period of time - with 2025 being touted,” David Cheetham, chief market analyst at trading platform XTB, wrote in an email.
“While this appears constructive No 10 has already told the EU that it won’t accept a Northern Ireland only backstop - regardless of a time-limit - and it’s quite feasible that this is little more than posturing and the next move in the Brexit blame game.”
The report of a possible concession marks a sharp reverse of the mood on Tuesday. Downing Street said a Brexit deal was “essentially impossible” and Irish leader Leo Varadkar said a deal before 31 October would be “very difficult.”
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Totally agree with Dominic's post regarding Brexit and HIC & others. HIC has spent 2 years fighting the corner of the remainers which is his prerogative but to constantly be the one who posts "I Told You This Would Happen" or 'I Predicted This or I Predicted That" has got on everyone nerves especially when he has said many times he did not bother to vote - this is I suspect one of the main things that gets everyones back up with HIC. Dominic is also spot on with regards to the people who could not be bothered to vote, maybe because they saw a remain as a done deal or maybe they were expats or individuals who were to busy to vote or could see no point in voting - whatever individuals reasons were for not voting the result was LEAVE. Had all those individuals bothered to vote the vote may have been the same or even leave but whatever the outcome they could at least sat back and said "I used my vote to make my voice heard". The UK has now got to navigate its way through this debacle one way or another but HIC and others seem to revel in the fact that the whole Brexit issue has become bogged down in playground politics and personal agendas.

Listening to 5 live yesterday on the way back from the airport a commentator who analyses the various polls commented that Labour was way down in the polling, Boris was extremely popular with voters as they have seen him trying to deliver on the referendum despite all attempts from Labour, Lib Dems, SNP & The Greens to delay / impede or stop Brexit, more importantly the analysis I found to be of interest was the Leave / Remain Gap had hardly changed with Leave still in front.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Why should the UK and Boris just roll over, well done to Boris for threatening to make Nigel Farage the UK's Commissioner in Brussels and to Veto the EU Budget, why shouldn't we Veto this budget or any other policy - the budget has never had proper scrutiny or balanced for the last 30 years apparently, and why should the UK be bullied into a deal that does not serve the UK's long term interests. We needed to come out fighting after TM's failed attempts and Boris has done just that and is still there fighting despite all the obstacles being put in his way.

I am now hoping there is no deal - I am sceptical over this but feel the UK has the strength, determination and ability to overcome the short term pitfalls. When I read articles where the EU has just increased its annual budget for private jet travel and first & business class travel by 50% and top suites in some of the worlds top hotels for all these Brussels elite. Add to that the sheer wastage of overseas aid such 400m to Robert Mugabe for years to promote Zimbabwe, 152K for trapeze and acrobats in Tanzania, 126k on a study of pacific coconuts, 173K on courses to make art from plastic in Dar es Salaam, hundreds of thousands on computer systems on an empty building, 4m to a girl band in Africa, the list goes on and on. Sooner we are out of this the better.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As if the UK never wasted a penny, did it? (Such as how much Brexit has cost!)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Living the Dream
Again you are spreading untruths; the EU finances have been audited. I don't know how many many times we've posted the links confirming this but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I wonder who will be the next Leaver to raise the EU Finances or the Lisbon Treaty or Fishing quotas; as said infinitum, it's like playing whackamole.
Instead of just posting propaganda why don't you check out your comments, it will save me and others an awful lot of time shooting down your misleading comments.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 am
Jimgym wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 amThe reason people don’t respond to you has been clearly spelt out but for some reason you are failing to grasp it.

OK, I get it.

So, if Jim B were to ask you the same question; ie. to name one or more positives arising from Brexit, would you spell them out for him?

living the dream wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pmI am now hoping there is no deal - I am sceptical over this but feel the UK has the strength, determination and ability to overcome the short term pitfalls...Sooner we are out of this the better.

Strength, determination and ability? You've got to be joking. The UK government, led by Dominic Cummings, hasn't got the ability to fight it's way out of a paper bag. Utterly hopeless!
I often wonder what cloud these people live on. Having worked in the construction industry all my life the strength, determination and ability disappeared with the demise of our heavy industry years ago.
The UK doesn't have the means or skill set any more to overcome long term pitfalls, never mind short term.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

To pick ourselves up, we rely on ‘free trade’ to compete with others who have it. That doesn’t happen without deals.

We are largely a service industry country and rely upon trading seamlessly with near neighbours.

I cannot see how, without being in the single market, we can compete.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
I don't think Jimgym is so much a pro-Brexiter as believes the democratic process would be damaged if we don't leave; please correct me if I'm wrong Jimgym.
I disagree with him because I think the system is broken already; especially when paying a billion pound bung to an insignificant political party keeps a minority party in power but we're all entitled to our opinion.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 am Go on Jim B, ask jimgym the magic question that we all want the answer to. He won't talk to me ;)
Oh do grow up. You have alienated many on here with your pathetic behaviour yet you continue. How very sad.
JimX

Post by JimX »

How and why did people vote to leave without an inkling of what would happen? I have always found this amazing, at first I thought it was just a racist vote brought about by that fool Farage, but no, I do not think that is a valid reason, I await the future with trepidation of what the UK has done to itself, of course if some brexiters here could maybe say why and what leaving EU is good for us all? maybe you still think Britain is a world power :D
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 am How convenient that you choose to insult me each time, rather than answer the question Remainers await with baited breath; what are the positives to arise from Brexit?

I think we'll take that as a "No, there are none".
Believe what you want, but the truth is you have just been so obnoxious to the opposing side in this debate that they choose not to respond with any sensible answers. Nobody can blame them for that.

I gave one a while back though. Not having to abide by CAP.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I have also asked for any reasons for leaving and nothing. Anyone I know or who have heard asked about it have come out with the usual garbage of EU policies, protecting our borders, sovereignty, but when it came down to it, many were purely down to anti-immigration and some pure racism, or imperialist attitudes.The immigrants are blamed for overwhelming the NHS. 99% of the immigrants are working age or kids. Most users of the NHS are retiral age. I wonder if over a million retirees from the EU - ex pats - were to be sent back, how would the NHS cope then?
Last edited by Jimgward on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 am How convenient that you choose to insult me each time, rather than answer the question Remainers await with baited breath; what are the positives to arise from Brexit?

Believe what you want, but the truth is you have just been so obnoxious to the opposing side in this debate that they choose not to respond with any sensible answers. Nobody can blame them for that.

I looked up CAP and initially the cost of CAP was 85% of budget, now it's 37% so it hs dropped considerably. I suppose that's what happens when you're on the inside changing things rather on the outside looking in with no input.
No one said or even suggested the EU is perfect.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 am No one said or even suggested the EU is perfect.
Just exactly like the UK will be imperfect, no matter the outcome.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am

Thank you Dominic, it's exactly why I don't wish to debate with him. As to why people chose to vote leave, that is up to them and they don't need to defend it to anyone on here. Leave won, Remain lost and that is it.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

As I previously asked HiC and he chose to ignore it. Do you think it right that Ford should have been able to use EU funding to build a Transit Factory in Turkey thus closing the Southampton Factory making over 3000 redundant plus the knock on effect with subcontractors and the local economy?

To me, that’s one good reason why the people of Southampton areas voted to leave!

Ok, it’s not the question you asked but for every reason I can see to remain, there is another to leave.