Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Happy in Cyprus

Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Robert Peston, who I have lot of respect for and who has contacts in all the right places, just tweeted:

Many of us suspected all along that Boris (and more importantly, Cummings) were never interested in getting a deal. It was simply a pretence for the cameras that they were.

Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Merely the actions of a government wanting to show it is serious about leaving. Nothing is certain with Brexit until it actually happens.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:00 pm

And if the Govt. didn’t have contingency plans those same people would be moaning about them being unprepared.

Varky

Post by Varky » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Rightly or wrongly I don't see why we should have to follow EU directives if we leave without a deal and by this I am not saying that a no-deal exit is a good thing.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm

The UK don't have to. However, if they want to have a trade agreement with them then this is the sort of thing that will have a big impact on it.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Varky wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm
Rightly or wrongly I don't see why we should have to follow EU directives if we leave without a deal and by this I am not saying that a no-deal exit is a good thing.
Who says we have to? However, if we want to trade with any block, there may be restrictions within there rules, preventing certain things....

Such as delegating London as the money-laundering capital of the world, being non-congruent with some trades....

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 am

I really cannot believe that Johnson would stoop so low...and if true it will come back to bite him 100 times over.

The EU holds a weapon 27 times larger than the UK and will seek to punish the UK and it's citizens for any act of sabotage. It bodes ill for those of us who live and work in Europe.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 am

And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing.

outasite

Post by outasite » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:55 am

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 am
And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing.

👏👏👏👏 Well said.

outasite

Post by outasite » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 am
I really cannot believe that Johnson would stoop so low...and if true it will come back to bite him 100 times over.

The EU holds a weapon 27 times larger than the UK and will seek to punish the UK and it's citizens for any act of sabotage. It bodes ill for those of us who live and work in Europe.

Aahh yes, Robert Peston. Ever loving boyfriend of the girl with the sad case of a 20 year amnesia blockage which, hallelulah, came back just at the right time to add to the long long list of left wing actions to discredit Boris Johnson. None of which have knocked him off course.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Outasite
Preston is quoting from an article in the Spectator; he never wrote it and is just commenting on it which he has every right to do just like you.

Jim

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Why do people have to always make it left or right? Opposing a clown like Johnson, on his unlawful acts, isn’t leftish?

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Dominic wrote:

And you took me to task the other day for snide comments?

On what basis do you make the assertion that the outcome would have been different had everyone 'bothered to vote'?

Had voting been compulsory, the result might have been even more in favour of Leave.
Jim B wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 pm
Outasite, Preston is quoting from an article in the Spectator; he never wrote it and is just commenting on it which he has every right to do just like you. Jim
No Jim, that 'article' was released by No. 10 last night. Doubtless Cummings was behind it.
Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 pm

The Institute of Fiscal Studies have now published a report detailing the likely cost of Brexit in terms of government borrowing. £100bn in the best case scenario, much more in the event of a Hard Brexit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49961301

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Lloyd
I think you'll find it was initially leaked to the Spectator from a source within number 10 but not to worry.

Jim

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Dominic wrote:

And you took me to task the other day for snide comments?

On what basis do you make the assertion that the outcome would have been different had everyone 'bothered to vote'?

Had voting been compulsory, the result might have been even more in favour of Leave.
1. My comment wasn't snide. It was pretty direct.
2. Had people like you, who are against Brexit but couldn't be bothered to get off their arse and vote, actually voted, then the result would have been more in favour of remain. This is not rocket science.
3. Nobody said anything about voting being compulsory.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm
1. My comment wasn't snide. It was pretty direct.

It was. I am pretty thick-skinned, but I was more than a little surprised and disappointed to be spoken to like that by Admin of all people. I might have expected it of others, but not of you. I don't speak to you like that - never have - neither should you to me.

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm
Had people like you, who are against Brexit but couldn't be bothered to get off their arse and vote, actually voted, then the result would have been more in favour of remain. This is not rocket science.

As I've said before, I am permanently domiciled in another country and have no intention of voting in the UK again, on any matter. However, that should not preclude have me having strong opinions on Brexit - any more than you voice opinions on Trump or other items of current affairs.

Rocket science and supposition aside, I would be interested to know how you can assert so categorically that those who didn't vote would have voted Remain.
Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

IF anyone believes we are leaving at the end of the month, on a no-deal, get onto the bookies as there’s lads of money to be made....

Now, either the bookies are wrong - or we aren’t leaving.... (Paddy~Power)
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 471 times
42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg
42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 471 times

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Rocket science and supposition aside, I would be interested to know how you can assert so categorically that those who didn't vote would have voted Remain.
Your trouble is you don't actually read what people say.

This is what I said:

"And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing."

Specifically, I said, people like you. By that I meant remainers with strong opinions who didn't bother to vote. IE people like you.

You have belittled people for a long time on this forum, and upset a lot of people. So don't get the high horse when a pithy comment lands in your direction. The reason it came from me and not one of the Brexiters, is because they have pretty much given up trying to have a conversation with you.

And who can blame them?

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm
IF anyone believes we are leaving at the end of the month, on a no-deal, get onto the bookies as there’s lads of money to be made....

Now, either the bookies are wrong - or we aren’t leaving.... (Paddy~Power)
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg
Well, they were wrong in the referendum itself, and I was watching them like a hawk then. Not because I am a gambler (I'm not) but because I found it a fascinating thing to observe.

Actually I remember the night of the referendum, when the results started coming in, at one point you could get 10:1 on leave winning, because the first results were all remain. I even considered hedging my money (we were soon going to buy a house) and betting 10K on leave, which would have easily covered what we eventually lost when the exchange rate crashed. However, I didn't, for two reasons. First betting 10K on a two horse race at those odds is just insane. Second, I wasn't even sure that the bet would be valid, me being in a different country to the bookies, and all that.

Interesting observation, thanks.