Civil servant out of order

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Civil servant out of order

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:16 pm Devil

Black's Law Dictionary defines unlawful as "not authorized by law, illegal." Illegal is defined as "forbidden by law, unlawful." Semantically, there is a slight difference. It seems that something illegal is expressly proscribed by statute, and something unlawful is just not expressly authorized.

I think this backs up my post.

My colouring. You are in a wicked triangle: unlawful>illegal>unlawful. There is no softening of definition, illegal and unlawful are totally synonymous according to Black and Oxford.

1. Against the law; illegal. ME.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Sorry Devil, you choose to go against a law dictionary, so be it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:56 am Sorry Devil, you choose to go against a law dictionary, so be it.
Not at all, Black and Oxford both define unlawful as illegal. Even Webster says so, amongst some other words. Even the Thesaurus offers illegal as the first choice. There are no shades of meaning in either 'unlawful' or 'illegal' which are both synonymous.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Spin it which way you will, Black's still says that there is a difference.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.