At last, a clear Brexit strategy.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

At last, a clear Brexit strategy.

Post by Dominic »

joke2.png
joke2.png (78.07 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: At last, a clear Brexit strategy.

Post by Devil »

Would be funny if it weren't true! :(
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Interesting the assumption John Major is now making, that Boris will now ‘ignore’ the Benn law, not to have a no-deal brexit, but using an old method to ignore through privy council. Boris and ALL his cabinet refuse to stop calling it the “Surrender” bill - even though it has been asked of them as the language is inflammatory and is already leading to threats and assaults on MPs.

Boris seems to not care if the country ends up in revolt.

The majority of the country - the vast majority - will not accept a no-deal. A deal would satisfy most of the leavers and most of the remainers and is the only viable strategy.

A no-deal will cause absolute chas. I experienced it myself this week, in clarifying the registration of a medical device from outside the EU. After a no-deal, all EU laws and regulations are expected to be ‘lifted and shifted’ by the UK - but that cannot happens for the registration of medicines and medical devices. It will mean at the very least, no new ones able to be sold in the UK and potentially all being held up as they are potentially not legal. Also, the EU will not allow us to lift and shift all the EU websites that deal with this. The result is chaos and I confirmed it this week. This is outside any delays at ports. It is a registration issue.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When will people realise that the EU will never agree to a deal unless its one that shackles us to it.

Jimgw

I think your assumption that the vast majority will not accept a no-deal Brexit is flawed. No-one knows what effect a no-deal will have on us, we do know however, that it will mean leaving the EU, that being the democratic result of the referendum.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:51 am Interesting the assumption John Major is now making, that Boris will now ‘ignore’ the Benn law, not to have a no-deal brexit, but using an old method to ignore through privy council. Boris and ALL his cabinet refuse to stop calling it the “Surrender” bill - even though it has been asked of them as the language is inflammatory and is already leading to threats and assaults on MPs.

The majority of the country - the vast majority - will not accept a no-deal. A deal would satisfy most of the leavers and most of the remainers and is the only viable strategy.

A no-deal will cause absolute chas. I experienced it myself this week, in clarifying the registration of a medical device from outside the EU. After a no-deal, all EU laws and regulations are expected to be ‘lifted and shifted’ by the UK - but that cannot happens for the registration of medicines and medical devices. It will mean at the very least, no new ones able to be sold in the UK and potentially all being held up as they are potentially not legal. Also, the EU will not allow us to lift and shift all the EU websites that deal with this. The result is chaos and I confirmed it this week. This is outside any delays at ports. It is a registration issue.
Respectfully,
How do you know the vast majority will not accept no-deal? And how do you know that the UK will not register new medicines and medical devices?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The vast majority are not against no deal. From the polls I was looking at, 75% of leavers would accept it, and about 10% of remainers. There was 10% don't no, and 11% who said they were neither for or against no deal. Why that didn't count as Don't Know is beyond me, but the upshot was that less than 50% came out as being against no deal.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Your figures don’t add up, Dominic, And there have been polls after polls with conflicting results.

If 75% of leavers would accept no-deal - which I don’t believe - that is 13m, add in the 1.5m remainers, you have 14.5m total. A vast minority of the country. Also, with 3 years 0f new voters who would be 90% remain.....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This was the poll I was reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49551893

Show links to your polls.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:29 pm When will people realise that the EU will never agree to a deal unless its one that shackles us to it.

Jimgw

I think your assumption that the vast majority will not accept a no-deal Brexit is flawed. No-one knows what effect a no-deal will have on us, we do know however, that it will mean leaving the EU, that being the democratic result of the referendum.
Yellowhammer tells us the best-case scenario of a no-deal. As produced by the government. So how do we not know? Also, as a director of 3 businesses, I know well the effect.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:14 pm Your figures don’t add up, Dominic, And there have been polls after polls with conflicting results.

If 75% of leavers would accept no-deal - which I don’t believe - that is 13m, add in the 1.5m remainers, you have 14.5m total. A vast minority of the country. Also, with 3 years 0f new voters who would be 90% remain.....
Please show the polls to back up your claims.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:51 am Interesting the assumption John Major is now making, that Boris will now ‘ignore’ the Benn law, not to have a no-deal brexit, but using an old method to ignore through privy council. Boris and ALL his cabinet refuse to stop calling it the “Surrender” bill - even though it has been asked of them as the language is inflammatory and is already leading to threats and assaults on MPs.

I share your concerns regarding MP’s being attacked and would of course love to hear your opinions on the many inflammatory remarks made by Labour MP’s and supporters. The things said were far, far worse than “surrender” and they did include an incitement to violence and murder. To help, it’s on alloys “ Am I the only one” thread. In case you missed it......
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm
wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:51 am I share your concerns regarding MP’s being attacked and would of course love to hear your opinions on the many inflammatory remarks made by Labour MP’s and supporters. The things said were far, far worse than “surrender” and they did include an incitement to violence and murder. To help, it’s on alloys “ Am I the only one” thread. In case you missed it......
I looked at your post and most is not related to MPs, however, it’s whataboutery. This is about the weeks inflammatory remarks. I think any remark by a public person that invites others to participate in abuse of any kind is wrong. whether labour, Tory, a celebrity or other.

Do you now say the same about Boris? About Dominic Cummings, about the attorney general and others in The Tory party this week?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:58 am
wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:51 am I share your concerns regarding MP’s being attacked and would of course love to hear your opinions on the many inflammatory remarks made by Labour MP’s and supporters. The things said were far, far worse than “surrender” and they did include an incitement to violence and murder. To help, it’s on alloys “ Am I the only one” thread. In case you missed it......
I looked at your post and most is not related to MPs, however, it’s whataboutery. This is about the weeks inflammatory remarks. I think any remark by a public person that invites others to participate in abuse of any kind is wrong. whether labour, Tory, a celebrity or other.

Do you now say the same about Boris? About Dominic Cummings, about the attorney general and others in The Tory party this week?
Whataboutery? Oh please! Most of it is not related to MP's? Really? Kate Osamar, an MP, John McDonnell, an MP, Jess Phillips, an MP. If you for even one second think the word surrender is is on a par with what others have said then I think you need to give your head good shake! The have gone beyond disgusting, and for anyone to try and gloss over that in favour of party politics is very very wrong.
WHL

Post by WHL »

John major, really?, someone who cheated on his wife, getting his leg over with Edwina Curry, is in no position to lecture others... on fair play or anything else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ament.html
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:03 am

Whataboutery? Oh please! Most of it is not related to MP's? Really? Kate Osamar, an MP, John McDonnell, an MP, Jess Phillips, an MP. If you for even one second think the word surrender is is on a par with what others have said then I think you need to give your head good shake! The have gone beyond disgusting, and for anyone to try and gloss over that in favour of party politics is very very wrong.
Almost all from months and years ago - and I reiterate ‘I think any remark ..... of any kind is wrong”

You refuse to accept that last week was wrong - blinkered. I could dig up similar remarks from all parties’ MPs - like Nicholas Soames and many others.... try googling.....
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:03 am

Almost all from months and years ago - and I reiterate ‘I think any remark ..... of any kind is wrong”

You refuse to accept that last week was wrong - blinkered. I could dig up similar remarks from all parties’ MPs - like Nicholas Soames and many others.... try googling.....
Why does it matter when it was said? Does that somehow lessen the impact? Of course you are outraged because you don't like Johnson, you don't want Brexit, and like many others are totally blinkered to anything else but using any and every stick with which to beat him. If you do think that calling the agreement a surrender agreement is so terrible and inciting of violence then I am truly stunned. I'm certainly not blinkered, but to watch so much faux outrage, when others have said far worse to a deafening silence is quite frankly nauseating and the definition of hypocrisy.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dodging any answers again
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

9DD75847-CC35-499A-881B-CC113EE887C0.jpeg
9DD75847-CC35-499A-881B-CC113EE887C0.jpeg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:15 pm Dodging any answers again
Yes you are but I'm used to it by now. I'm still waiting for you to post details of where the judges said, and here I will quote you "Gina Millar took a private case to the English courts and they ruled they weren’t sure that it was a matter for them - i.e. Boris didn’t win, as he claimed, or as all his cabinet still claim" I'm still waiting for you to answer my question "Why does it matter when it was said? Does that somehow lessen the impact?" in response to your response that the comments were made months ago, as if somehow that negates the vileness of them. I could go on, but I think you get my point. Please don't accuse me of dodging anything when in fact it is you that is doing just that.