Indoctrination of children

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Indoctrination of children

Post by Jim B »

This is where were going, sending Brexit propaganda to primary school children. Smacks of North Korea.

Jim

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/25/brexit-p ... -10809109/
Firefly

Re: Indoctrination of children

Post by Firefly »

If it's true.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

After reading the link, these slides have also included anti-Brexit protests, why have you only pointed the finger at Boris, why not say no politics in schools ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Where did I mention Boris?

Jim
Jimgward

Re: Indoctrination of child

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:18 am After reading the link, these slides have also included anti-Brexit protests, why have you only pointed the finger at Boris, why not say no politics in schools ?
The newspapers mentioned that it was Boris propoganda.

Shocking it happened and never should have
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

The second link you posted specifically mentioned Boris.

Please answer my question, why indoctrination of children on the Brexit side, when both sides are mentioned ?

Jimgw

Shocking that politics should be involved at all in schooling. Plenty of time for that after they have left school.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You should really take it up with the Guardian; at no time did "I" mention Boris and neither stated favour for or against Brexit, only against Brexit propaganda being sent to schoolchildren.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No, but the article you posted the link to did.

I ask again, why do you oppose Bexit propaganda, and not remain propaganda ?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jacki

You initially insinuated in your first reply the first link was possibly untrue so I posted a second link to confirm the first link was factual, not for the content of the second link.
I don't believe any children should be indoctrinated, full stop.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I did not insinuate, I questioned the truth of it.

At least we agree that support for Brexit or remain should not be displayed in schools.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is a storm in a teacup. It sounds like some filler film giving both sides of the story which was just put there to provide something other than a blank screen to look at.

Why shouldn't kids be given balanced current knowledge? What's the point of just teaching them history?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Don't you think that children at school these days have enough pressure, without trying to get their heads round politics ?

Indeed, adults have enough of a problem understanding the subject. As for History, a lot of British history is not taught at schools anymore.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This was Pre-12 schools. Kids. Young kids.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:44 pm Don't you think that children at school these days have enough pressure, without trying to get their heads round politics ?

Indeed, adults have enough of a problem understanding the subject. As for History, a lot of British history is not taught at schools anymore.
When I did history, it went as far as the Tudors and Stewarts, before I dropped out at the end of the 3rd year (what they now call year 9).

In contrast, my children were both taught about both world wars as well as more 19th and 20th century History. I remember the very nice Anderson Shelter our daughter made as a Year 6 project.

With regards to politics, I guess it all depends on how the facts are presented. But it is important that kids be at least made aware that politics exists. Otherwise, all they will see are the online calls to action (climate change etc). A nodding aquaintance with political reality can help give a better understanding to why things are the way they are, and why some things haven't yet been changed. It's easy to say no to air flight etc when you don't appreciate the cost implications etc. Children need to be able to recognise that things are rarely black and white.

It all depends on what was actually shown. From what I read, it covered both sides of the debate. And I honestly doubt whether that many kids paid attention anyway.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.