What a waste of tax payers money ?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Ramone

What a waste of tax payers money ?

Post by Ramone »

I don't usually post in this section because politics bores me to death.
However, after just switching on Sky News & watch the Supreme Court of a panel of god knows how many judges / Lords sitting to decide whether what Boris did / advised the Queen was against the law. What a total waste of tax payers money. It must be costing 100s of thousands of pounds to pay that lot of Spongers !
Just my opinion, I feel a lot better now ! :)
boycott

Re: What a waste of tax payers money ?

Post by boycott »

So you don't want the government held to account?
Varky

Post by Varky »

Ramone wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:51 pm I don't usually post in this section because politics bores me to death.
However, after just switching on Sky News & watch the Supreme Court of a panel of god knows how many judges / Lords sitting to decide whether what Boris did / advised the Queen was against the law. What a total waste of tax payers money. It must be costing 100s of thousands of pounds to pay that lot of Spongers !
Just my opinion, I feel a lot better now ! :)
Democracy doesn't come cheap.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Boris could have accepted the ruling of the British Court in edinburgh, but had the right to appeal through the Supreme Court. What’s next, the European court of Justice?
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Les,
8 Lords & 3 Lady's!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm Boris could have accepted the ruling of the British Court in edinburgh, but had the right to appeal through the Supreme Court. What’s next, the European court of Justice?
Gina Miller and her backers could have accepted the ruling of the English court, or the Irish court but didn't.....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:54 am
Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm Boris could have accepted the ruling of the British Court in edinburgh, but had the right to appeal through the Supreme Court. What’s next, the European court of Justice?
Gina Miller and her backers could have accepted the ruling of the English court, or the Irish court but didn't.....
Gina Miller is not funded by the tax payer though.

Mind you, I think BJ had every right to use the courts. In the grand scale of things, the cost of this is miniscule.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Regarding the cost of all this, the Supreme Court justices would have been getting paid in any case, as would any government individuals involved, so no real extra costs there. The appellants should be funding their own legal representation, so no costs accruing to the public purse there. Maybe an oversimplification on my part but costs not that significant.
One question, if the appeals fail would the government be able to claim costs :evil: .