Confused dot com

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: Confused dot com

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 pm I have no proof Aaron Banks received Russian money to fund Leave, but I’ll allege he did. I have no proof that George Osborne sold his family business through the Virgin Islands to save tax, but I’ll allege he did. I have no proof that Boris is a racist, but I’ll allege he is. I have proof that Boris is a liar. I have proof that his financial backers in running for Parliament and PM made serious money out of he pound collapsing on Brexit. It matters not to me and is opinion, sometimes based on fact, often based on allegations made by loads of people, most in the know and all far more intelligent than me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

Why not, that's what he's supposed to do. It's called democracy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm LB

Why not, that's what he's supposed to do. It's called democracy.
Just as Sovereignty that people wanted, is being exercised by parliament and the judiciary. Just as democracy isn’t a once-only vote.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

They promised us that it was a once-only vote.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:08 pm Jim

No, some did. They also promised us £350m a week to the NHS, no downsides and lots of positives....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Nigel Farage walks into a pub and says, "I'll have a pint of beer, please." The barman pours a pint, then throws it all over Farage.

'What did you do that for?' says Farage.

'Because you're in a metaphor which illustrates the stupidity of asking for something, but not stipulating how you wanted it delivered. '

'OK then... I'll have a pint -- this time in a glass!' says Farage.

'You can't ask again!' said the barman.

'Why not?' sniveled Farage.

'Democracy.' says the barman.

Credit to Martin Ison for this scurrilously disrespectful cracker!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm

No, some did. They also promised us £350m a week to the NHS, no downsides and lots of positives....
Wrong! Show me where they “promised” £350m per week to the NHS. What was ACTUALLY on the bus was this ‘We send the EU £350m a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead.’ A vague statement, not a promise of precise amounts of money to anything. What people infer from that is up to them.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am
Jimgym wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 pm
Les Bean wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:14 pm Well apart from not being able to guess any other reason for his approach to Brexit, his idea of tax free zones/ports are seen as a money laundering threat by the EU. Many of his contributors could come under scrutiny, including the Barclay brothers for whom he writes
Not conclusive I know but I'm convinced there's SOME hidden agenda
So, like Jimgward, you have zero proof but wish to taint certain people because of your viewpoint only? Thankfully we don’t have the Salem Witch Trials any more! Just because you can’t guess doesn’t mean anyone is guilty of any money laundering or tax evasion. It’s worse than trial by media here! Neither you, nor jimgward who made the original comment have offered ANY proof of the claims, apart from being “convinced” about something. Well, I’m convinced I’m going to win the lottery but I seriously doubt it’s going to happen.
So you believe Boris' shenanigans to exit the EU regardless of a deal, are purely because his conscience dictates he must deliver the will of the people?
I wouldn’t presume to guess what his conscience tells him. I also wouldn’t propagate unfounded and malicious rumours that he is doing it because of money laundering. I’d like to think he as a politician is actually interested in delivering the result of a democratic vote and abiding by that result. Something that appears to be an anathema to certain sections of the Remain camp.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm

The then P.M. David Cameron said this in May 2016 “I am absolutely clear a referendum is a referendum, it’s a once in a generation, once in a lifetime opportunity and the result determines the outcome ... You can’t have neverendums, you have referendums.”
K Turvey

Post by K Turvey »

Jim B wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 pm [
Yes. Simple answer. Just Google Job Losses due to Brexit and see what pops up; nearly half a million and we haven't left yet.

Ask all those people running round trying to get MU3 documents If they're affected. Or the pound losing over 12% of its value, has that not had an affect?

Jim
[/quote]

I googled unemployment in the UK and the number is dropping

I brought my house and moved here many years before Cyprus joined the EU and had no issues getting permeant residency

currency swings are normal, a lot of my working life I got paid in dollars I had to cope with the currency swings with the dollar Vs pound, dollar Vs Euro, dollar Vs CY pound.

I am not overly bothered about Brexit as the UK banking system and economy is strong.
Unlike the country we reside in how who collapsed in 2012 and took "stole" Cypriots & Expats life's savings. house prices plummeted and have never recovered, That in my opinion is real hardship
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am
Jimgym wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Les Bean wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am
So you believe Boris' shenanigans to exit the EU regardless of a deal, are purely because his conscience dictates he must deliver the will of the people?
I wouldn’t presume to guess what his conscience tells him. I also wouldn’t propagate unfounded and malicious rumours that he is doing it because of money laundering. I’d like to think he as a politician is actually interested in delivering the result of a democratic vote and abiding by that result. Something that appears to be an anathema to certain sections of the Remain camp.
He doesn't seem quite so interested in obeying a law passed by a democratic vote by representatives of the same electorate that voted leave
If you don't question the motives of politicians does that mean you automatically assume they're doing the right thing all the time
Perhaps because they are trying to block an earlier democratic vote by the people.
WHL

Post by WHL »

K Turvey wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 pm [
Yes. Simple answer. Just Google Job Losses due to Brexit and see what pops up; nearly half a million and we haven't left yet.

Ask all those people running round trying to get MU3 documents If they're affected. Or the pound losing over 12% of its value, has that not had an affect?

Jim
I googled unemployment in the UK and the number is dropping

I brought my house and moved here many years before Cyprus joined the EU and had no issues getting permeant residency

currency swings are normal, a lot of my working life I got paid in dollars I had to cope with the currency swings with the dollar Vs pound, dollar Vs Euro, dollar Vs CY pound.

I am not overly bothered about Brexit as the UK banking system and economy is strong.
Unlike the country we reside in how who collapsed in 2012 and took "stole" Cypriots & Expats life's savings. house prices plummeted and have never recovered, That in my opinion is real hardship
[/quote]

House prices have recovered and are on the up, the Cyprus Government have announced that the loans will be paid in full soon

https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... an-in-2020
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

K Turvey

I too moved here before Cyprus joined the EU and got residency quite easily because like you I was earning a good salary and met all the criteria but many people are not as fortunate as you and me. Coming to work in Cyprus prior to the EU was very difficult for British people and the opportunities of working or owning a business was limited, the EU changed all that providing opportunity to people who could never have been able to afford to do it otherwise.
Plenty of zero hour contracts in the UK but would you work a couple of hours a week and say you are employed; it's just another government con to lower the unemployment figures. Refuse a zero hours contract and you lose any benefits, that's the way it works. Half a million jobs lost directly attributed to Brexit already and we haven't even left yet.
Again I've been paid in foreign currency and taken the ups and downs but the 12% drop in value was again attributed directly to Brexit and not the normal currency fluctuations.
As for the Banks, as I said there's more to the Banking collapse than meets the eye (you should read up on it) but as WHL wrote, Cyprus is on the up.
I've never been an "I'm all right Jack" sort of person that's why I'm so against Brexit because it restricts opportunity.

Jim
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Thank you very much for the many replies to my quandary.

You're USELESS . . . . . . . . The whole Jing Bang. The whole Kit and Caboodle of you guys giving your opinions.

However, I forgive you. I thank you for trying . . . . . . . .And, I dont hold it against you. 😍

What will be, will be.

Maggie B

YEP, YOU GUESSED. STILL CONFUSED!
June

Post by June »

:D :lol: :lol: xx
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:44 am
Jimgym wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 am
Les Bean wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am

He doesn't seem quite so interested in obeying a law passed by a democratic vote by representatives of the same electorate that voted leave
If you don't question the motives of politicians does that mean you automatically assume they're doing the right thing all the time
Perhaps because they are trying to block an earlier democratic vote by the people.
A law is a law, whether it's good or bad, and they're trying to stop a no deal exit not an exit.
And a vote is a vote, and that came before they tried to block Brexit.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:49 am
Jimgym wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 am

A law is a law, whether it's good or bad, and they're trying to stop a no deal exit not an exit.
Alan
The law is the law, we cannot choose which ones to obey which one we don't want to.
MPs on the other hand can choose whether to ignore or implement the referendum vote. If you are unhappy with their decision you have the democratic right to vote against your in MP in the next general election.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 am
Jimgym wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:49 am

Alan
The law is the law, we cannot choose which ones to obey which one we don't want to.
MPs on the other hand can choose whether to ignore or implement the referendum vote. If you are unhappy with their decision you have the democratic right to vote against your in MP in the next general election.

Jim
It certainly is Jim and the very same MP's who went on record to say they supported the referendum and the MP's in Parliament who voted to have it are now trying to block it because they don't like the result. Hypocrisy of the highest order.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan
I'm not disputing that, they should have had the courage of their convictions from day one. There was a three line whip to invoke article 50, many MPs were threatened and cajoled into voting for it (you can see what happened to the 21 when they voted against the Tory Whip) . If that's democratic then the system stinks.

Jim
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Now THAT is a fact if ever I saw one. 🤣🤣🤣

MB