YellowHammer Docs releases

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

YellowHammer Docs releases

Post by Jimgward »

Except No. 15 - assumed to relate to NI border

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ns_CDL.pdf
Jimgward

Re: YellowHammer Docs releases

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

According to reports the document released was a redacted version of Yellowhammer, the original being 150 pages; we shall wait and see.
Andrea Leadson stated the government didn't wish to release it in case it frightened the public.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Surely that hedge fund figure is pretty meaningless. Hedge funds, in my fairly limited experience of the city, are used to offset some of the risks that the rest of the bank have taken. So if most of the bank are buying shares on the assumption that there will be a deal, it would make sense to have some bets on there being a no deal, thereby hedging your bets.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes I got that. I was saying that that isn't necessarily the case. However, having done a quick google it would appear that a hedge fund is now something different to what it was in the mid 90s, when I had first hand experience of supporting their I.T.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hedge funds are morally wrong to be able to ‘bet’ on businesses failing, currencies depreciating and shares collapsing. It allows consortia (illegal) of them to cooperate in affecting prices. However, we know it happens and it is detrimental to everyone but themselves.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:46 pm Hedge funds are morally wrong to be able to ‘bet’ on businesses failing, currencies depreciating and shares collapsing. It allows consortia (illegal) of them to cooperate in affecting prices. However, we know it happens and it is detrimental to everyone but themselves.
Not really because that way they offer sort of insurance to their counterparties.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

From what I heard on the news, and have read of the YellowHammer Report the likely effects of a no deal on the average citizen in The UK paint a gloomy picture of shortages and increased prices of food, medicines and fuel to name just 3. it’s also easy to see why Boris Johnsons Govt who commissioned the report were unwilling until forced, to release it into the public domain.
This may be the result if the UK leaves the EU on the 31st October with a no deal brexit.
Dee

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The yellowhammer report, which Gove claimed was worst case, has been proven to be Base case, and Gove had to apologise for lying.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:27 am Jim, I said that in a response to Dominic on another thread. Gove claimed it was 'worst case' so as not to frighten the kiddies. As I also said somewhere else, Boris and Gove wrote the book on lying.

Still, I suppose one of the pre-requisitites to being a politician is the ability to lie barefacedly.
I think you will find it was Tony Blair who wrote the book on lying.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:47 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:27 am Jim, I said that in a response to Dominic on another thread. Gove claimed it was 'worst case' so as not to frighten the kiddies. As I also said somewhere else, Boris and Gove wrote the book on lying.

Still, I suppose one of the pre-requisitites to being a politician is the ability to lie barefacedly.
I think Blair was a good Prime Minister.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 am
WHL wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:47 am

I think Blair was a good Prime Minister.

Jim
Lying war criminal, responsible for thousands of needless deaths and carnage, :roll:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ah!!!
Thatcher did her fair share in the Falklands and Major did his fair share in Kuwait, are they war criminals? Who's to say there weren't any weapons of mass destruction, just because none were found doesn't mean there weren't any.
The big two mistakes were that Bush didn't let our armies drive on into Baghdad and the second one was disbanding the Iraqi army after the second Gulf War, none of which were the responsibility of Blair.
Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm Ah!!!
Thatcher did her fair share in the Falklands and Major did his fair share in Kuwait, are they war criminals? Who's to say there weren't any weapons of mass destruction, just because none were found doesn't mean there weren't any.
The big two mistakes were that Bush didn't let our armies drive on into Baghdad and the second one was disbanding the Iraqi army after the second Gulf War, none of which were the responsibility of Blair.
Jim
Thatcher didn't authorise the invasion of another nation, as we all know she was defending British sovereign territory. Rather different from Blair and Bush who invaded another country on the pretext of WMD. Funnily enough they were never found, strange that.......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If they were able to find Saddam Hussain in an underground shed I am sure they would have been able to find WMD if there were any to find.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:14 pm
Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm Ah!!!
Jim
Thatcher didn't authorise the invasion of another nation, as we all know she was defending British sovereign territory. Rather different from Blair and Bush who invaded another country on the pretext of WMD. Funnily enough they were never found, strange that.......
But the question is did Thatcher send mixed signals to the Argentinian junta about the Falklands, there's plenty of evidenc she did. At the time her government was on the ropes and a little distraction like a war helped.
As for WoMD, I spent four years in Kuwait, two before the first Gulf War and two directly after on the oil well fires and rebuilding of the infrastructure. It's a big desert out there and to hide a few Containers in the expanse of Iraq isn't rocket science, you just dig a hole.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

What evidence do you have of Mrs. Thatcher's signals to the Junta ? The Argentinians invaded British territory, what should we have done ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The information is all there on the web if you look for it.
Her government was on the point of collapse; nothing like a little war to get the public on your side.
She pushed Bush into the first Gulf War although this wasn't enough to save her. Kuwait was originally a province of Iraq and the signals were that Iraq could grab it back; does that remind you of what happened in the Falklands.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I have no knowledge of Thatcher’s pre-Falklands knowledge, but certainly many bad things happened. The Belgramo was shocking. Over 300 killed needlessly.

I remember the headlines in the red-tops in the UK - “DIRTY ARGIE BAS&&&&” being one (but with the full words...! And much more.... Jingoism went nuts in the UK and without doubt it saved Thatcher at the time.

BTW, I know for a fact that Prince Andrew did not fly in the Falklands as was reported. He was dropped off at Ascension. I don’t blame the UK for doing this, as the negative publicity from killing a member of the royal family would have been terrible, however I resent Andy himself talking about his experiences.... which was a lie....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

This is the first time I have ever head of Mrs Thatcher pushing Bush to invade Iraq, indeed, I had no Idea that she had so much power. Please explain what action you would have taken when Argentina invaded The Falkland Islands, as you seem to think that the action taken was wrong.

Jimgw

As for the Belgrano, what about all the British soldiers and sailors who were killed and injured, you make no mention of them, strange.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.