YellowHammer Docs releases

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: YellowHammer Docs releases

Post by Jim B »

Thatcher left the Islands open for invasion, she was warned not to withdraw our military and ships from the area by the First Sea Lord but she ignored that advice; why? Argentina were just waiting for the opportunity to invade and Thatcher gave it.
If Thatcher had of listened and took the advice of the Military we wouldn't be discussing both British and Argentinian casualties.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/dec ... -falklands

https://gulfnews.com/world/europe/marga ... -1.1168131
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Still no reply to 'what would you have done' ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm Jim

This is the first time I have ever head of Mrs Thatcher pushing Bush to invade Iraq, indeed, I had no Idea that she had so much power. Please explain what action you would have taken when Argentina invaded The Falkland Islands, as you seem to think that the action taken was wrong.

Jimgw

As for the Belgrano, what about all the British soldiers and sailors who were killed and injured, you make no mention of them, strange.
Not strange at all. All lives lost were horrendous. The Belgramo was outside of a declared exclusion zone. If you don't see the difference, you wont agree.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgw

Why then only single out lives lost on The Belgrano, when so many British lives were lost.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Because the Belgramo was a war crime. The rest were war losses. No less consideration....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgw

Interesting to note that the Captain of The Belgrano, Hector Bonzo, stated that the attack was legitimate. The Argentinian Government agreed with this in 1994. So why do you disagree with them, do you know better.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I hadn’t realised that was said, so I apologise unreservedly and take it back.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Very noble of you to say so, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:39 pm The information is all there on the web if you look for it.
Her government was on the point of collapse; nothing like a little war to get the public on your side.
She pushed Bush into the first Gulf War although this wasn't enough to save her. Kuwait was originally a province of Iraq and the signals were that Iraq could grab it back; does that remind you of what happened in the Falklands.

Jim

That's a cop-out answer.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 pm That's a cop-out answer.
? - needs explained
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Which answer and why ?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There was a post by Jim B. I thought I was replying to that.

Ah! Mystery solved. Jim's post was the last post on the first page. Consequently, I replied to it thinking it was the last post in the discussion. I have amended my post to include his quote. Sorry for the confusion.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:14 pm There was a post by Jim B. I thought I was replying to that.

Ah! Mystery solved. Jim's post was the last post on the first page. Consequently, I replied to it thinking it was the last post in the discussion. I have amended my post to include his quote. Sorry for the confusion.
I posted two links in a subsequent post, one about Thatcher cajoling Bush and one about the First Sea Lord warning Thatcher about pulling military forces away from the Falklands.
No cop out, the information is available if people care to look for it.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The problem with telling people to research their own stuff is that they may end up looking at completely different versions of the events you are referring to.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic
The problem is you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not at all, and in fairness to you, you did provide links later on. However, when I replied, I was replying to a post that I thought was the last post in the thread. Had I seen your other comments I wouldn't have replied like that.