Does anybody actually want the Brexit date delayed?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Does anybody actually want the Brexit date delayed?

Post by Dominic »

I am sure we are all fed up with Brexit. But will delaying it achieve anything or just make a bad situation worse?

I don't agree with the Backstop, but it will only kick in if a sensible means of controlling the border cannot be found, so personally if I was supreme ruler I would tell the UK parliament to have a three-way vote.

1. Remain
2. May's Deal
3. No Deal

Make it single transferable vote if you must, but just have a vote on that. They could do that tomorrow and it would all be over.

Delaying Brexit will achieve absolutely nothing. The border issue won't go away.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Does anybody actually want the Brexit date delayed?

Post by Dominic »

No I meant Parliament should have the vote.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No worries. But what are your thoughts on the actual question? Would you rather they decided one of the above three this week, or extended the deadline again and looked for another deal?

And at what point do Europe decide enough is enough and not let us extend it? In their shoes, surely no deal is better than continued uncertainty ad infinitum?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think parliament would vote to remain though. I think they would go with May's deal, given that it was either that or no deal, and clearly the majority don't want no deal.

You would then have the Farage lot to contend with, but then the Great British Public would have to acknowledge that a vote for Farage is a vote for Corbyn.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If they were principled enough (and they were) to ignore the whip in the first place, I hardly think they would vote in spite. And they would still be answerable to the electorate.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Guy Fawkes, your country needs you. :lol:
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

I suppose it depends on the appetite of Parliament to accept what would inevitably be an extremely tight result because of the 3 options on the table, and I am afraid if it was remain, which not only goes against the referendum but also reneges against the triggering of Article 50, where the vast majority of politicians voted effectively to honour the result of the referendum and leave. That was the time to say no. I do believe if Parliament now do not take the UK out of the EU, breaks it’s promise, the chaos will continue and indeed worsen. In answer to your question, no, Brexit should not be delayed, Parliament have effectively tied the hands of the Government, a GE now and let the people have their say on who they want to lead the country out of this mess.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

I think if they had to vote for anyone surely it would be the Lib Dem’s? The only party with the stated aim of stopping Brexit.