Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jimgym » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:21 am

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Rocket science and supposition aside, I would be interested to know how you can assert so categorically that those who didn't vote would have voted Remain.
You have belittled people for a long time on this forum, and upset a lot of people. So don't get the high horse when a pithy comment lands in your direction. The reason it came from me and not one of the Brexiters, is because they have pretty much given up trying to have a conversation with you.

And who can blame them?
Pretty much sums up how it is. Sad but true.

Beechwood
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 am
Location: At home (sometimes)

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Beechwood » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 am

The day the referendum result was announced I was working for 1 of the UKs largest banks. I arrived at my desk and looked around at my younger colleagues (in their 20s and 30s) who were discussing how they couldn’t believe what had just happened and how ridiculous it was. I asked them if they had voted (none had). I really didn’t need to say anymore although I made my feelings clear.

For what it’s worth my opinion is if you’re entitled to vote do so - any outcome may well affect you directly

How will it all end? Well again my opinion is that 1 or more of the EU 27 will vote against an extension. There will be an immediate vote of no confidence in the UK Tory Government. A Government of ‘national unity’ will somehow be cobbled together and in order to stop a no deal Brexit, the only option for the leader will be to revoke Article 50 (probably on October 30th)

And then we will all live happily ever after 😀

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 am

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
"And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing."

Specifically, I said, people like you. By that I meant remainers with strong opinions who didn't bother to vote. IE people like you.

The criticism was clearly directed at me Dominic, however it was shrouded. So let me ask again, where is the evidence that "people like me" who didn't vote in the referendum might have reversed the outcome of Brexit, had we voted? There is none.

Dominic wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
You have belittled people for a long time on this forum, and upset a lot of people. So don't get the high horse when a pithy comment lands in your direction. The reason it came from me and not one of the Brexiters, is because they have pretty much given up trying to have a conversation with you. And who can blame them?

Let's rewind the clock back a year or two shall we? In those days, and for months on end, I was one of the few Remainers posting on the Brexit threads and was heavily outnumbered. Night after night I was subject to flack from 6 or 7 staunch Brexiteers, who delighted in ridiculing any and all arguments I put forward about how the Brexit process would end. The bull-baiting was so severe that I would only open Brexit threads every 3 or 4 days for fear of the lambasting I was about to receive :lol: I often had to have a lie-down in a darkened room to recover from the insults and name-calling :lol: I don't recall you once taking Brexiteers to task for the names they called me and the vilification and abuse piled on me at the time. I was pilloried because of my Remainer views and needed to be shouted down. And was. But that's the nature of political debate and I for one am not complaining.

Brexiteers were perfectly able to speak their minds then, so I don't see why they should have lost their voice now. No, the reason Brexiteers have gone quiet is not because I have 'belittled' or 'upset' them, but because they have no argument left. The evidence of the complete failure of the Brexit process is there for all to see. What is happening now is utterly indefensible, but was destined to be all along. Just the other day I asked jimgym to provide one tangible benefit which would arise from Brexit. To date he has not come up with any. Why? Because there are no benefits. Not one. But as the Institute of Fiscal Studies pointed out yesterday, there will be a very heavy price to pay for this Shakesperian tragedy, which could so easily turn into the ruination of the once-great nation of the UK, and which of late has turned the country into a laughing stock.

I still dearly hope there will be a deal, but News at 10 last night gave little hope of that. Because with the Laurel and Hardy duo, Cummins and Johnson running the show - without it seems consulting or debating strategy with Cabinet - we can be sure that the future of the Conservative Party and the safeguarding of the interests of rich knobs like Jacob Rees-Mogg, count for more than 'doing the right thing' for the country by getting the deal it needs.

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am

I must agree with Lloyd; some Leavers have very short memories. If you recall I stopped posting for several months due to the vitriolic comments and personal attacks made against me by some members on here but never once retaliated or complained to Admin about it.
Many comments were acerbic to say the least but nothing was said or no one censured. Ridicule was one of their favourite weapons and was used regularly.
Leavers have no argument left so are as I've said in many posts resorting to pedantics, semantics and crying foul as another distraction.
"Let he who hath not sinned......." is a one way street by some Leavers.

Jim

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Dominic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am

The most abusive of those leavers no longer post here. They had privileges curtailed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Dominic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:33 am

And HiC, I have already answered your question. Repeating it because you don’t like the answer achieves nothing.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 am

Dominic wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am
The most abusive of those leavers no longer post here. They had privileges curtailed.
I agree Dominic but it wasn't due to complaints from Remainers, it was down to them using the same vitriol against Admin.


Jim

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Dominic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:39 am

You are wrong. Not everybody complains on the open board. Some people do so via PM.

Believe you me, if I banned people who used vitriol against me the politics section would be very quiet indeed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgym
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jimgym » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am

The reason people don’t respond to you has been clearly spelt out but for some reason you are failing to grasp it.

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:35 am

I did mean on the open board, I can't recall any as far as I'm aware.

Jim

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2259
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jimgward » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Desperation reporting that isn’t even true!

Pound rallies after reports of 'major concessions' on Brexit
The pound jumped against the euro and the dollar on Wednesday morning amid hopes that a Brexit deal could yet be reached before October 31.

Sterling had been under pressure in early trade but jumped higher at about 9.30am. The pound was 0.1% against the euro to €1.1163 (GBPEUR=X) and up 0.3% against the dollar to $1.226 (GBPUSD=X).
The reversal in fortune came after the Times reported that “a major concession” by allowing Northern Ireland to leave the so-called Irish backstop after a number of years.
“Quoting diplomatic sources close to the talks the Times reported that European governments are prepared to concede a unilateral withdrawal from an interim after a set period of time - with 2025 being touted,” David Cheetham, chief market analyst at trading platform XTB, wrote in an email.
“While this appears constructive No 10 has already told the EU that it won’t accept a Northern Ireland only backstop - regardless of a time-limit - and it’s quite feasible that this is little more than posturing and the next move in the Brexit blame game.”
The report of a possible concession marks a sharp reverse of the mood on Tuesday. Downing Street said a Brexit deal was “essentially impossible” and Irish leader Leo Varadkar said a deal before 31 October would be “very difficult.”

living the dream
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by living the dream » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Totally agree with Dominic's post regarding Brexit and HIC & others. HIC has spent 2 years fighting the corner of the remainers which is his prerogative but to constantly be the one who posts "I Told You This Would Happen" or 'I Predicted This or I Predicted That" has got on everyone nerves especially when he has said many times he did not bother to vote - this is I suspect one of the main things that gets everyones back up with HIC. Dominic is also spot on with regards to the people who could not be bothered to vote, maybe because they saw a remain as a done deal or maybe they were expats or individuals who were to busy to vote or could see no point in voting - whatever individuals reasons were for not voting the result was LEAVE. Had all those individuals bothered to vote the vote may have been the same or even leave but whatever the outcome they could at least sat back and said "I used my vote to make my voice heard". The UK has now got to navigate its way through this debacle one way or another but HIC and others seem to revel in the fact that the whole Brexit issue has become bogged down in playground politics and personal agendas.

Listening to 5 live yesterday on the way back from the airport a commentator who analyses the various polls commented that Labour was way down in the polling, Boris was extremely popular with voters as they have seen him trying to deliver on the referendum despite all attempts from Labour, Lib Dems, SNP & The Greens to delay / impede or stop Brexit, more importantly the analysis I found to be of interest was the Leave / Remain Gap had hardly changed with Leave still in front.

Les Bean
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Les Bean » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Les Bean wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Ps. Contains strong language

living the dream
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by living the dream » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Why should the UK and Boris just roll over, well done to Boris for threatening to make Nigel Farage the UK's Commissioner in Brussels and to Veto the EU Budget, why shouldn't we Veto this budget or any other policy - the budget has never had proper scrutiny or balanced for the last 30 years apparently, and why should the UK be bullied into a deal that does not serve the UK's long term interests. We needed to come out fighting after TM's failed attempts and Boris has done just that and is still there fighting despite all the obstacles being put in his way.

I am now hoping there is no deal - I am sceptical over this but feel the UK has the strength, determination and ability to overcome the short term pitfalls. When I read articles where the EU has just increased its annual budget for private jet travel and first & business class travel by 50% and top suites in some of the worlds top hotels for all these Brussels elite. Add to that the sheer wastage of overseas aid such 400m to Robert Mugabe for years to promote Zimbabwe, 152K for trapeze and acrobats in Tanzania, 126k on a study of pacific coconuts, 173K on courses to make art from plastic in Dar es Salaam, hundreds of thousands on computer systems on an empty building, 4m to a girl band in Africa, the list goes on and on. Sooner we are out of this the better.

User avatar
Devil
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Devil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 pm

As if the UK never wasted a penny, did it? (Such as how much Brexit has cost!)

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Living the Dream
Again you are spreading untruths; the EU finances have been audited. I don't know how many many times we've posted the links confirming this but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I wonder who will be the next Leaver to raise the EU Finances or the Lisbon Treaty or Fishing quotas; as said infinitum, it's like playing whackamole.
Instead of just posting propaganda why don't you check out your comments, it will save me and others an awful lot of time shooting down your misleading comments.

Jim

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 am

Jimgym wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am
The reason people don’t respond to you has been clearly spelt out but for some reason you are failing to grasp it.

OK, I get it.

So, if Jim B were to ask you the same question; ie. to name one or more positives arising from Brexit, would you spell them out for him?

living the dream wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm
I am now hoping there is no deal - I am sceptical over this but feel the UK has the strength, determination and ability to overcome the short term pitfalls...Sooner we are out of this the better.

Strength, determination and ability? You've got to be joking. The UK government, led by Dominic Cummings, hasn't got the ability to fight it's way out of a paper bag. Utterly hopeless!

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 am
Jimgym wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am
The reason people don’t respond to you has been clearly spelt out but for some reason you are failing to grasp it.

OK, I get it.

So, if Jim B were to ask you the same question; ie. to name one or more positives arising from Brexit, would you spell them out for him?

living the dream wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm
I am now hoping there is no deal - I am sceptical over this but feel the UK has the strength, determination and ability to overcome the short term pitfalls...Sooner we are out of this the better.

Strength, determination and ability? You've got to be joking. The UK government, led by Dominic Cummings, hasn't got the ability to fight it's way out of a paper bag. Utterly hopeless!
I often wonder what cloud these people live on. Having worked in the construction industry all my life the strength, determination and ability disappeared with the demise of our heavy industry years ago.
The UK doesn't have the means or skill set any more to overcome long term pitfalls, never mind short term.

Jim

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2259
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jimgward » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 pm

To pick ourselves up, we rely on ‘free trade’ to compete with others who have it. That doesn’t happen without deals.

We are largely a service industry country and rely upon trading seamlessly with near neighbours.

I cannot see how, without being in the single market, we can compete.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 am

Go on Jim B, ask jimgym the magic question that we all want the answer to. He won't talk to me ;)

Locked