Trump's Wall!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half hour youtube video. Also, we want you to win your debate by the strength of your argument. Attacking your opponent weakens your argument.
ApusApus

Trump's Wall!

Post by ApusApus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Is this going to be the wall that Trump can't climb? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46772724

Shane

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Trump's Wall!

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Depends who blinks first. But I don't think it will be the Democrats. Hope not anyway.

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm
Depends who blinks first. But I don't think it will be the Democrats. Hope not anyway.
But for why?

Do you want to see him lose the argument.
or
Do you disagree with a border wall/fence/barrier etc.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:15 pm

And why do you ask, Termites Dream? Are you for or against the wall.

Personally I am against it. It makes no sense. If you actually look at illegal immigrant figures, they are steadily decreasing year on year in the US. The wall is a smokescreen to keep people occupied and less interested in other matters.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm

My Dad used to work on the maintenance at Ashworth Hospital which was where Ian Brady and the like were held. That place had a wall around it which when built the story goes the authorities brought in the RM Commando to see if they could get over it; it was found fit for purpose.
As for Trumps wall, I believe they have to do something to prevent drug and gun running though it appears most of that sort of stuff comes under the border.
I was reading an article about the Canadian USA border and the problem seems to be the number of people crossing into Canada and claiming asylum. Worth a read as there are still disputed areas and islands and some areas of the USA or a inside Canada.

Jim

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Dominic wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Personally I am against it. It makes no sense. If you actually look at illegal immigrant figures, they are steadily decreasing year on year in the US. The wall is a smokescreen to keep people occupied and less interested in other matters.
Like the few immigrants coming in to Dover on inflatables - a reasonable deflection for food banks, homelessness and Universal Credit..... it has occupied the news for over a week....

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Dominic wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Dominic my question relates to the fact that people are voting against Trump not the issue. Democrats have supported publicly a barrier now vote against because they don't want Trump to gloat he fulfilled a promise at the next Presidential election. They want to shout to Trump "Where's the wall" if not constructed.

The whole affair of illegal migration is totally bizarre, how is it an illegal, if you succeed, can head for a Sanctuary City and receive a raft of help. Some can even vote and one politician said she would tip off migrants if the Police were coming.

You ask my view on the wall, if I lived there I would want a wall.They have stopped people from travelling from one area to another for hundreds of years and they are still a low cost effective system. Except if you have natural barriers. I saw that the Americans lost as many people last year to Opiates than the Vietnam War. Drugs are an issue. Trafficking of migrants by gangs another.

Barriers have been constructed in the EU and Israel, right or wrong to build, they work or countries would not build them. They are not full proof but a major physical and psychological barrier.

I am not highly motivated either way on the wall but as I said more intrigued that people will turn on their head to beat Trump no matter what they believe or have said.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Drugs are a huge red herring in this debate. The vast majority of them are smuggled through legal entry points.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm

It is not about any one issue but a combination, the balance of which will change over time and events now and in the future.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Like Dominic I'm against the wall. And against Trump too, but that's another issue.

As Dominic reminds, illegal immigration from Mexico has been declining year on year. Now it is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago. Fact is, Republicans as a breed hate Mexicans. I know this because we had a holiday home in Phoenix for many years. We still have dear friends there, who were former neighbours. Republicans to the core. They used to berate the Mexican fraternity mercilessly. Yet when it came to needing their house painted, or the garden landscaped, or new a/c installed, guess who it was that turned up to do the dirty work? In southern US States particularly, Mexicans carry out all the tasks which Americans themselves don't want to dirty their hands doing; a bit like East Europeans in Cyprus or in the UK. Same bigoted, xenophobic prejudice, which is what Trump's wall is all about. Keep the nation pure and all that right wing crap.

But Republicans will never admit to it ;)

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm

TRump has spent today denying ever saying the Mexicans would pay for the wall..... lying as usual...

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm
TRump has spent today denying ever saying the Mexicans would pay for the wall..... lying as usual...
Jim ....Trump has said all past Presidents have told him they wished they had built a wall, and all those Presidents say they didn't.....why he engages in these lies I do not know, it buggers his argument. Equally I have read Pelosi and Schumer have voted for a wall for Jordan at the US tax payers expense. If true it's hardly consistent. Such is politics in the USA.

Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:38 am

The only national emergency in the US that needs dealing with at present is Trump and his constant and repeated lies.

He's filled the swamp - not drained it! He never divested his business interests and indeed profits from them. He still won't release his tax returns and therefore clearly has something to hide. Anyone that needs to repeatedly tell people how smart they are (whilst proving repeatedly otherwise) is not only insecure but also dangerous.

Personally i'm not sure what's worse - Trump himself or the fact that he still has voters that support this embarrassment of a President.

Other than that (and loads of other things) I think he's smashing ;-)

Cheers

Steve

WHL

Post by WHL » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:34 am

What saddens me is, its the year 2019, and the best politicians can come up with, is build a wall.

Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:34 am

“The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot...”

https://apple.news/A665P9wEGRqqECEMGpQxIPw

A.

WHL

Post by WHL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:02 am

With millions of Americans without even basic health care, spending billions on a wall, is just beyond believe.