Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Conoflex

Re: Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Post by Conoflex »

If you look at my postings I have never suggested that a high FTSE is a sign of economic health - but it has not been the disaster that many stated it would be post vote has it ?

ps I did finish my degree, I never used it practically despite being offered a ridiculous salary in 1983 to do so, and I scored higher in an IQ test than Caroline Aherne
keving

Post by keving »

Yes, it may well be the case that the doom and gloom mongers who predicted a fall in the value of the £ and a fall in the value of the stock market over looked the inverse relationship between value of sterling and FTSE which would counter their prediction of a fall in the stock market. But hey, what would you expect doom and gloom merchants to do, if not conveniently overlook certain things.

As for your higher education, I go by your post on CL in which you told us you didn't complete your degree.

As for ridiculous salary offer in 1983, only you know what is ridiculous compared to your ability and potential in 1983.

And as you have told us on this new forum, you didn't start work until age 27. That's a very big career gap to expain on a CV.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Only ever said I never used my degree- never ever said I did not complete it

£180,000 pa in 1983 was generally considered a lot of money- was it not? I turned it down because I would have been working with tossers

I have never had a job- I took a 5 year gap year after university (lived off the bookies) and became self employed in 1988 -I have never needed a CV

Trust that fills in the gaps :roll:
keving

Post by keving »

I'm pissing myself with laughter, thanks so much for giving me the best laugh of 2017 so far ..
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Call it a wish list if you like Lloyd but I think it shows that an awful lot of work and planning has taken place and that she obviously has further negotiating plans that are not revealed.As far as I could ascertain she had plans for a new type of Customs Union to put on the table and as far as wanting to have your cake and eat it isn't that what the art of negotiation is all about? - Set your markers - start off high knowing how far you are willing to compromise? I think she is one very clever and astute lady but time will tell!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm Mark won't like you telling him to "feck off", he'll be upset. With a bit of luck he'll flounce off.
I don't do flouncing I'm afraid... :lol:
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

A quick scan of the major European economies would suggest that an awful lot remains wrong with the EU

1- Germany: the German economy is doing ok of course- but the country is suffering the consequences of a migration crisis that is only being held in check by a dodgy deal with a despot dictator.

Many Germans are still smarting over the ECJ’s decision to legitimise the ECB’s bond buying programme in Spain, Italy, and Portugal, despite the German Constitutional Court ruling otherwise. Germans are not happy bunnies about allowing the ECB to break it’s own rules and make new ones up to buy junk debt (who would be)

It’s biggest bank is in desperate trouble and it has become politically impossible for Merkel to bail it out because of previous decisions to let other European banks go to the wall. Saving it or letting it go both have huge and nasty political consequences for Germany and the Eurozone (so nothing will be done until after the German election)

2- Britain- we’re heading out. If we leave and succeed other EU countries will want to follow suit, if we fail we might take a lot of other European economies with us. Either way Brexit is a massive problem for the EU.

It is the EU’s 2nd biggest budget contributor, it’s biggest export market and a magnet for lots of Eastern European economic migrants (and some assorted undesirables) taking advantage of freedom of movement rules for some easy pickings. Presumably once Britain finally leaves the other EU states will be next “in line” for this so called economic bonanza of people

3- France- should have started austerity measures 5 years ago, elected Hollande instead. An uncomfortably high unemployment rate can only get worse before it gets better, it’s plagued by terrorism facilitated by ludicrous migration and asylum policies and it’s most popular politician is working on an agenda to leave the EU in everything but name.

It’s shared currency with a vastly more efficient economy is proving to be ever more unworkable and it’s role as equal partner in the European project is being continuously eroded

4- Italy- economic basket case. Banks need bailed in, but politically and economically too dangerous to do so, no economic growth since 1999.

Unemployment rate dangerously high, public debt/GDP ludicrously high, household debt out of control and now right in front line for the migrant crisis

5-Spain- astonishing unemployment levels about 20%, youth unemployment even worse, only able to borrow through ECB QE programme

It had a very stable economy prior to joining the Eurozone (national debt in the 30% region and a budget surplus !! ) but was flooded with cheap money, the resultant booms turned to bust and it is still having to borrow to keep its economy from collapsing further

And that my friends is the current state of the biggest members of the EU- they all have self made problems, but they are also all blighted by the EU ones. All the other smaller states have serious issues too and they have learned very quickly that EU membership is not the bed of roses it seems (even the newer ones that are the biggest beneficiaries of EU funding) I wonder what the Greeks would do if they could turn back the clock?

Give Cameron his due, he did say the EU needed to reform, but his attempts to try and achieve that fell on contemptuous ears - and that is why May is quite right to say we are quitting. It is ordinary people that are the main victims of these stupid policies and they are getting very annoyed indeed because they can see the problems and it's them that have to live with them
smudger

Post by smudger »

Good post!
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Today the Supreme Court gives its judgment at 9.30 GMT.