Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
bromerzz

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by bromerzz »

Doesn't having Covid 19 on the death cert mean no autopsy is required?
Jimgward

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by Jimgward »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:02 pm I do not think that you can rely on any of these figures. There are lots of people who are reporting deaths in their families from all manner of conditions and when it comes to the Death Certs, they are nearly all mentioning Covid 19, which in the majority of those cases mentioned was totally untrue.
Not true. Only confirmed covid tested or covid confirmed by doctor. True figures are based on seasonal differences and are now over 60,000. So a vast underestimate.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:02 pm I do not think that you can rely on any of these figures. There are lots of people who are reporting deaths in their families from all manner of conditions and when it comes to the Death Certs, they are nearly all mentioning Covid 19, which in the majority of those cases mentioned was totally untrue.
So the ONS figures that shows there are in excess of over 60,000 deaths over the same period as last year of which a figure of 40,000 plus are being linked to CV19 are unreliable? The statistics show that only two thirds of excess deaths are being directly attributed to CV19.
You can try and white wash the figures any way you want but the death toll is a national failure by this government. Whether a Labour government could have done any better is inmaterial, they are not in power. Other countries look at the leaders of the UK with incredulity on how poorly they've tackled this pandemic.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No-one seems to have taken into account the numbers of deaths where the deceased had underlying conditions, over 90% according to the research I did. So I ask, how many of them would have died anyway ? Like it or not, nature takes it's course.

How many people have had it and recovered, that statistic doesn't sell papers, or cause upset. We are even expected to watch TV programmes about this virus, not my cup of tea.

Instead of blaming the government, blame China.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:34 pm Instead of blaming the government, blame China.
Please be specific why. Just look at the number of deaths in the UK and compare it with the number of deaths in China. When you have done this, please do it again but, this time, take into account the respective populations of the two countries.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Why ? because that's where it originated, and if China had gone into lockdown immediately, the rest of the world might not have been affected.

And no Devil, I will not do as you say.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:34 pm No-one seems to have taken into account the numbers of deaths where the deceased had underlying conditions, over 90% according to the research I did. So I ask, how many of them would have died anyway ? Like it or not, nature takes it's course.

How many people have had it and recovered, that statistic doesn't sell papers, or cause upset. We are even expected to watch TV programmes about this virus, not my cup of tea.

Instead of blaming the government, blame China.
The ONS statistics has taken into account underlying conditions by issuing trendings for several previous years of average deaths. The figure for this year is in excess of 60,000 above the average of which over 40,000 were attributed directly to CV19. That leaves over 20,000 additional unexplained deaths which could or could not be attributed to CV19 or underlying deaths.
The point you appear to miss is that the 60,000 is above the yearly average.
This government is totally incompetent and lies through its teeth and you are supporting that. you can blame China as much as you like but most of the UK problems boil down to how the pandemic was handled by a group of charlatans who ignored medical science and put profit before people.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:38 pm Why ? because that's where it originated,
There is absolutely no scientific evidence that the disease started in China. We make an assumption that it did, only because it is there that it became most visible and started to spread. The mutation that caused it could have happened in any country in the world and from any one of numerous reasons.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

You are as entitled to your views, as am I.

The number of deaths may well be above average for this period, but with respect, this year has not ended yet, far from it, therefore, as I see it, the statistics you quote for 2020 is at best guess work on some-ones part.

I agree that the whole thing could have been handled better than it has been in the UK.

Jackie
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie
I'm quoting the figures to date; that's 60,000 plus extra deaths for the first 5 months of the year, not for the whole of 2020.
And also the figures are not mine, they are from the Office of National Statistics which is a UK Government Department.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I appreciate what you say, but we may find that the normal death rate is lower for the next half of the year. It is possible that Covid 19 took the lives of those who would have passed on anyway this year, just sooner rather than later.

Time will tell.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L.B.

No I'm not, I'm saying that it is a possibility that it may, to some extent, have some truth in it for those who are vulnerable through another medical condition, which would eventually will bring about their demise.

Strange how some people mis-read posts.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It's also strange how some people misread statistics.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lies, damn lies, and statistics ;)
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L.B.

Nothing else to add except, statistics, which are based on guess work mean nothing. Let's wait until year end, just so we know for sure.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The ONS is not guesswork. It is month by month comparisons with the same months in years past. They are credited with being highly accurate. It doesn’t need to wait to a year-end, as they are comparisons in real-time. Waiting simply fudges the disaster that is still unfolding and the allows more mistakes on the catalogue of them that this cabinet and it’s advisers have been responsible for.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I don't expect you to consider my posts.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:32 pm I'm saying that it is a possibility that it may, to some extent, have some truth in it for those who are vulnerable through another medical condition, which would eventually will bring about their demise.
I would agree it is a possibility, but I expect some would want to live another 6 months longer and maybe have their loved ones around at the time of their as you put demise.
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

David

I quite agree with you.

What pray, is wrong with 'demise' ?

Jackie
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It just sounds a little bit disrespectful to me
Last edited by Uncle D on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
David